Young Yogis offers program for primary schools and high schools that will provide benefits beyond the yoga mat!
The physical benefits of yoga are the same for children as they are for adults. Yoga provides increased strength, flexibility, energy, improved balance, and coordination. These physical attributes will serve your child well should they chose to participate in any sport or dance.
Yoga Academy for Schools
Participation in yoga practice actually leads to a higher level of performance and aids in injury prevention; however, the health benefits of yoga go far beyond strength and flexibility. Dedicated yoga practitioners can speak to the appreciable emotional and mental health benefits of the practice; yoga reduces stress and anxiety, increases self-acceptance and mind-body connection, and improves concentration.
More specific ways Yoga can help children:
- Increase their muscle tone and develop muscle co-ordination
- Develop body awareness
- Balances the functions of the right and left hemispheres of the brain
- Improves balance and concentration
- Injury preventative
- Develops greater awareness of how the body functions (particularly the
lungs) and the difference between relaxation and activity within the body.
- Gives them a method for releasing pent up emotional and mental states of mind.
- Introduces the ability to focus the mind and improves concentration and study skills
- On a more subtle level I have found children to be more aware of the power
of their minds and of positive thinking. Over time this can help develop a more caring attitude to others.
This program is suitable for any students in year 1-6 and 7-10. Sessions are generally 1 hour, all material and props included. Number of weeks can vary depending on the school’s needs and the cost can be administered either per student or per term. Please contact us for more details.
Sessions are held by Pia O’Connor, founder and teacher of Young Yogis
With over ten years of yoga experience and formal training done in Australia, India and Sweden, Pia’s major life-passion is to share the many benefits of yoga and thrive on helping students work to their limits and beyond.
Programs We've Delivered
Surf and Turf Series (Community Running Race)